How far have I come? How many more steps will I take? Sometimes it's hard when we don't accomplish the goals that we set out to accomplish. I had hoped to have a successful track season this year. After taking the indoor season off, I began with a good half marathon, but the rest of the season went poorly. It was frustrating to me to be unable to achieve my goals and have my last track season be by far my worst one. The day after our conference meet (which was a fun and successful day for the Doane men's and women's teams), I began the Lincoln marathon, but dropped out a couple of miles beyond the half-marathon mark. For someone who does not like to quit things that I start, this was a big disappointment, but I also thank God for giving me the sense to stop, rather than completing the run in misery. The following day, I came across this quote:
“Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.” -Chinese Proverb
It is a good reminder, that all experiences, both the pleasant and unpleasant can be used for personal growth and the only way in which they are a failure, is if we fail to recognize their value and learn from them. I learned that it is okay to set high goals and to back away from them, when the costs outweigh the benefits, so long as it isn't harming anyone else. Just take things step by step. One foot after the other.
Despite not finishing, it was a fun day to spend with my cousin, a few of her friends, my mom and aunt.
No comments:
Post a Comment