Finals went pretty well, and I was elated when 4:30 in the afternoon of Wednesday, July 7th came around and I was officially done with my 4th semester.
I really enjoyed volunteering at Deporte y Vida, I and learned a lot from the experience. The other girls, who also volunteered, and I helped the students (mostly elementary or junior-high-aged) with their homework in a variety of subjects, encouraged them to try and to learn not just copy answers, and gave them the attention that we could. Some of them had beaming smiles all the time, which is incredible supportive evidence to the statement that money doesn’t buy happiness. It was very enjoyable getting to know both the kids and the teachers, who have the patience of saints and do all that they can to improve the children’s situations. We also completed to murals for them- one a nature scene and the other a picture of Misti (a volcano in southern Peru). Additionally we asked for donations at our university for the people of Oasis, Villa El Salvador, especially targeting international students who may not wish to take everything home with them. We had great results!
With my time coming to a close, I realize that there will be some things I will miss about Lima and my time there, but I am also looking forward to my future travels.
No comments:
Post a Comment