Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tribute to H.F.B.



You loved nature. 
You admired the flowers and the animals. 
We were Saturday people—you and I. 
Since I started spending my Saturdays with you as a young child,
there hasn’t been a Saturday that’s gone by, during which we’ve been apart
and I haven’t wished to see and talk with you. 
It shouldn’t surprise you that I took each of these photos on a Saturday—
photographs of things you loved.

Like flowers, you brought me happiness. 
You also taught me what it means to forgive—
like the fragrance a flower leaves on a shoe that has crushed it.
You never came to Africa, but you gave my brother
a small sculpture of African animals when we were small. 
You were well-read, knew geography and knew all about animals and birds.
Like the elephant, you devoted years
to raising and caring for your children (and grandchildren).
Like the wildebeest, you were full of grace.
Like the unique stripes of each zebra, you were unique and special to me.
Like the cheetah, you knew when to work and when to take it easy.
Like the giraffe, your demeanor was one of tranquility, not one of haste.
Like the baboon, you had your own sense of humor.

You played a big role in shaping who I am today. 
You will forever live on in my memories
and in the natural surroundings that you loved so dearly. 
I understand this is just a part of the circle of life.   
Hakuna matata.












No comments:

Post a Comment