I'm volunteering at Deporte y Vida in the Oasis neighborhood of Villa El Salvador. Today I got to spend a little over an hour in the 4 year old room helping them do puzzles, singing with them, painting their right hand red to help them learn the difference between right and left, helping them learn to trace arrows, and watching them practice a dance.
Afterwards, I went to the elementary age room which has children from ages 6-13 I believe. There I helped with math and English lessons. I need to ask more questions to find out more about the methodology that is being used to teach them English, because from my impressions, things ought to be done differently. However; that may not be possible, as I'm not sure any of the teachers actually speak English.
Classes were terminated a little early with everyone frantically evacuating their rooms as a man from the national health department abruptly arrived with masked gear, rubber protective gloves, and oxygen mask and a tank on his back. He began spraying the area with poison in an attempt to kill the ants and other bugs there, that have been deemed to be in excess. Afterwards he told the teachers that their classrooms must remain sealed for 8 hours.
It could not have been healthy for all of us to be standing nearby or running out of his way, while he was wearing all that clothing and we were breathing the fumes. I asked the teachers if this was a regular occurrance. They said that it is not, but rather happens about two times a year.
I have a lot to learn but look forward to going back!
No comments:
Post a Comment